Friday, October 26, 2012

Commitment Issues

Apparently I have commitment issues when it comes to my characters. I really love them, but they can't exist without wants... and I think I have them that way because it's almost like wanting all possible doors open for your loved ones.

But characters need to be detailed... so I'm fixing that. And wa-ha, it's hard to give two shits about fairy godmothers. How do you make people who can be pretty powerful with magic sympathetic and human?

Then there's a problem with the world of it... do I want it to be completely out of our reality? Monsters Inc did it... but that was old Pixar and old Pixar are pros. Or George Lucas's Star Wars (IV-VI).

Or should this be semi-based in our reality? Something along the lines of a more classical Disney, like Cinderella or A Princess and the Frog where the protagonists are human and everything that happens takes place in a recognizable world we can find on Earth, but with supernatural/magical elements.

It seems that no matter what I do... I bite off what people think is too much than I can possibly chew. But I'm not backing down. I've had this bouncing around in my brain for a while now. It's going to take some work... but I'm going to do this. And I really, REALLY want to have this be a comedy. If anything, that is my through-line, that this make people laugh.

If anyone has any suggestions... I'd love to hear them. This weekend I'll be building a world. If it took George Lucas years, I'll do it in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment