Friday, October 5, 2012

Comedy vs Horror

And no, I'm not combining the two.

The problem with me is that I don't... love one genre. I happen to love a lot of genres, as loon as the story keeps me invested. And I'm not a novice to horror, I've been reading Stephen King since I was thirteen and I keep myself up to date with the horror video games that seem to be coming out more and more. Being afraid is a strange high for me, that adrenalin rush, it reminds me that I can still feel fear. I'm always hungry for something new and scary.

But I also love to laugh.

Whether it's because of nerves or, you know, I actually find something funny, laughing is fun. People who say they don't like to laugh or either lying or empty inside. The problem is, I might be able to make SOME people laugh when I'm with them in person, but on paper... I'm not as confident. It's one of the main reasons I've stayed away from comedy... because I'm more comfortable having a girl cave a priest's face in with a baseball bat than having a drunk fairy Godmother make quippy comebacks.

The thing is... comedy will always keep me coming back. I'm leaning toward the comedy idea, but we'll see which one is strongest. I've written up my character bios for B. B. B. (the comedy) and it's a good, solid, four pages. A lot longer than the horror one, but the horror idea is a lot newer than BBB.

Right now I'm going to do the horror characters and sketch out possible avenues for new plot points.

And because I'm torn between horror and comedy, I had a dream that Slenderman and I had fabulous adventures in the Adventureland universe. He wasn't scary, he was just a chill dude.

I need some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment