Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hollow

So I’m worried that my advisor thinks I have no heart.   

This is something that, in any other class other than screenwriting, I wouldn’t have a problem with. In my basic design class, my professor remarks on everybody’s “personality” showing through their pieces except mine. I’m fine with that, I know I have a personality, and since design isn’t my passion, I don’t have to paint my heart and soul on the canvas, that’s not what I’m about. 

But when my senior project screenwriting advisor is voicing the same concern… that’s a problem.  

I’m not afraid to admit that I don’t like over-sharing. I’m not the person in an English class who writes about emotional or physical abuse in our first assignment that we read aloud to class. I don’t like over-familiarity with strangers or people that I know I won’t be seeing next term.   Today my professor told me to write something I want to, which is what I thought my latest treatment was… something I wanted to do. I love the characters so much… of course, I love the two supporting characters the most.   

I’m scared because if this is what I THOUGHT I wanted to write… what’s wrong with me? What do I really want to say? Or am I too hollow to even grasp my own wants anymore?  

So it’s back to the drawing board, I guess. 



No comments:

Post a Comment